The Tribunal began operations on December 31, 1988, following the merger of the Tariff Board, the Canadian Import Tribunal and the Textile and Clothing Board. However, its history goes back to the time of Confederation and the Board of Customs, whose appellate mandate was transferred to the Tariff Board in the 1930s. In 1994, the Tribunal absorbed the Procurement Review Board. In 2014, the staff and budget of the Tribunal were transferred to the Administrative Tribunals Support Service of Canada (ATSSC). Its staff is now part of the CITT Secretariat of the ATSSC.
1931 The Tariff Board was established to inquire into economic matters referred to it by the Minister of Finance. The powers of the Board of Customs are also transferred to the Tariff Board.
1969 The Canadian Import Tribunal was originally established as the Anti-dumping Tribunal. Its name change reflected a broader mandate to conduct injury inquiries in both anti-dumping and countervailing duty proceedings under the Special Import Measures Act (SIMA), as well as in safeguard cases.
1970s The Tribunal’s third predecessor, the Textile and Clothing Board, was formed in the early 1970s and inquired into safeguard complaints by the Canadian textile and apparel industries.
1994 The Tribunal absorbed the Procurement Review Board, extending the Tribunal’s mandate to include inquiries into whether federal procurement processes have been carried out in accordance with Canada’s domestic and international trade obligations.
The Tribunal celebrated it's 30th anniversary on December 31, 2018. For additional information, please see the Canadian International Trade Tribunal 25 Years of Excellence.
Today, the Tribunal is at the heart of Canada's trade remedy system and, in any given year, the impact of its decisions can exceed $5 billion and lead to the creation and retention of thousands of jobs in Canada.