HOT-ROLLED CARBON STEEL PLATE
Expiry Review No. RR-2017-004
Monday, April 9, 2018
IN THE MATTER OF an expiry review, pursuant to subsection 76.03(3) of the Special Import Measures Act, of the order made by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal on January 8, 2013, in Expiry Review No. RR-2012-001, concerning the dumping of hot‑rolled carbon steel plate and high‑strength low-alloy plate not further manufactured than hot-rolled, heat-treated or not, in cut lengths, in widths from 24 in. (+/‑ 610 mm) to 152 in. (+/- 3,860 mm) inclusive, and thicknesses from 0.187 in. (+/‑ 4.75 mm) to 4.0 in. (+/- 101.6 mm) inclusive, but excluding plate for use in the manufacture of pipe and tube (also known as skelp), plate in coil form, plate having a rolled, raised figure at regular intervals on the surface (also known as floor plate) and plate produced to American Society for Testing and Materials specifications A515 and A516M/A516, grade 70 (also known as pressure vessel quality plate) in thicknesses greater than 3.125 in. (+/- 79.3 mm), originating in or exported from the People’s Republic of China.
WHEREAS the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (the Tribunal) is required, pursuant to section 76.03 of the Special Import Measures Act, to conduct an expiry review as to whether the expiry of its order is likely to cause injury to the domestic industry;
AND WHEREAS, based upon information available to the Tribunal, it appears that Russel Metals Inc. (Russel) is a producer of the goods that are the subject of the Tribunal’s inquiry;
AND WHEREAS Russel was directed to respond to the Tribunal’s Producers’ Questionnaire (available online) on or about March 8, 2018;
AND WHEREAS the Secretariat to the Canadian International Trade Tribunal subsequently attempted to request certain information from Russel via telephone on March 27, 2018, with respect to the completion of its questionnaire response;
AND WHEREAS Russel has not provided certain information requested by the Tribunal;
AND WHEREAS the Tribunal considers such information to be relevant and important to the conduct of its inquiry;
AND WHEREAS, pursuant to subsection 17(2) of the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Act, the Tribunal has, as regards the production and inspection of documents, the enforcement of its orders and other matters necessary or proper for the due exercise of its jurisdiction, all such powers, rights and privileges as are vested in a superior court of record;
AND UPON being satisfied that Russel has or is likely to have information in its possession or control relevant to the Tribunal’s inquiry;
THE TRIBUNAL ORDERS THAT:
1. A duly authorized representative of Russel shall deliver to the Tribunal a certified written return of information in fulfilment of the information requirements listed in the attached schedule.
2. Unless Russel satisfies the Tribunal in writing before 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on April 13, 2018, that this order should not have been issued or that the required information cannot reasonably be provided, the required information is to be received no later than 12:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on April 16, 2018. The information may be filed via the Tribunal’s secure E‑filing service at https://apps.citt-tcce.gc.ca/sftapp/CITT/html/transfer_e.html or by e‑mail at email@example.com, should the risks associated with this method of transmission be accepted by Russel, or by sending a hard copy or copy on digital media by courier to the following address:
Canadian International Trade Tribunal Secretariat
333 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G7
3. The information provided by Russel in fulfilment of the information requirements in the Tribunal’s Producers’ Questionnaire and the attached schedule may be designated as confidential by Russel in accordance with sections 43 to 49 of the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Act.
- Schedule 6 – Employment, Hours Worked and Wages Paid for Hot-rolled Carbon Steel Plate to the Domestic Mills/Service Centre’s Questionnaire (“Employment” tab of questionnaire).
- Schedule 8 – Cost of Goods Manufactured for Domestically Produced Hot-rolled Carbon Steel Plate to the Domestic Mills/Service Centre’s Questionnaire (“Financial” tab of questionnaire).
- Schedule 9 – Income Statement for Domestically Produced Hot-rolled Carbon Steel Plate to the Domestic Mills/Service Centre’s Questionnaire (“Financial” tab of questionnaire).
In order to complete the schedules listed above, the Tribunal understands that certain assumptions and estimations may be necessary. If you are required to make assumptions or estimate data, please provide a description of any assumptions and estimates which were made.